Santa Monica Filtration HOG3xx Hang-On-Glass Algae Scrubber
The HOG3xx is a hang-on-glass algae scrubbing filtration system that can be used to reduce your glass cleaning and water changes while creating an environment for living micro-animals to grow inside the scrubber.
The HOG3xx is the highest power 12-LED version of the original HOG3 which has 6 LEDs, and HOG3x which has 9 LEDs. Like the aforementioned models, the HOG3xx offers much larger algae-attachment space to hold more growth between cleanings when compared to the HOG.5, HOG1 and HOG1x scrubbers. It also has two power supplies like the HOG3x; one for a low-power 6-LED mode for startup when the growth surfaces are pure white (or for very new aquariums when there are not many nutrients in the water); and the second one to be added-in once growth darkens up the white surfaces.
The HOG3xx is ideal for tanks which have nutrient or algae problems, aquariums that are showing signs of old tank syndrome, or in highly-fed predator or NPS corals tanks. It is designed for the highest photosynthesis yet with 12 LED lights, and is suitable for the highest amount of nutrients (such as phosphate) in the water. The strong magnets attach to thick aquarium walls up to 1/2″ (13mm) glass or acrylic, making it ideal for use in sumps of larger systems.
- Utilizes a rough & light-reflecting Green Grabber algal growth attachment surface, along with double sided strings, which accelerates algae growth
- Upflow scrubber technology prevents overflow risk– since it is ALL underwater, it can`t overflow onto your floor
- Has 36 square inches (225 square cm) of two-sided algal growth surface textures and strings
- No electrical parts go inside the aquarium
- Air bubbler supplied– no air stone required
- Will run on both 120V and 240V
- Dual power supply: low-power 6-LED mode for startup and high-power mode for when algal growth begins to darken the white surfaces inside the growth compartment
- Each power supply comes with a 10 ft (300 cm) UL and CE approved power adapter cord with a simple 2-prong U.S. plug, which can easily be modified
- Can be used as a stand-alone filter or in conjunction with most other filters
- Dry-Out proof: Power outages will not affect it since it`s always under water
- Harvested algae can be used to feed your fish, if desired
- Includes a 1 year warranty for replacement or repair
- Includes 3 ft (90 cm) of vinyl airline, but requires an air pump that can pump at least 2.0 liters per minute (.07 cfm), preferably more
- Needs to be cleaned (“harvested”) every 7 to 14 days or when thick with growth
- Magnets attach the outside cover to the inside cover through the aquarium wall, and can be used on glass or acrylic 1/4 inch (6 mm) to 1/2 inch (13 mm)
- Magnets are protected by a hard plastic cover inside black silicone, preventing rust or scrapes
- Not recommended for tanks with thin 1/8″ (3mm) glass, as the strong magnets may crack the glass
- Ideal for saltwater systems (not recommmended for freshwater)
- Includes twelve red (660 nm) 3-watt LEDs, which are attached to a heat sink inside the cover. *The cover does get warm
- Lights are powerful enough to grow green algae, as opposed to the brown algae grown by the lower power lights of the HOG1.3 or HOG2.
- The LEDs will give the aquarium or sump a slight red color at night when the aquarium lights are off
- The LEDs never need replacing
- A timer is required to run the LEDs for up to 22 hours per day
- Low-power mode required during initial start-up to avoid photo-inhibition (special instructions included)
- Dimensions: 6 5/8″ wide x 8 3/4″ high x 1 1/2″ thick (16.6cm wide x 21.9cm high x 3.75cm thick)
- Recommended Water Level: 7″ (17.5cm) of water to operate in
- LEDs: 12 red (660 nm) 3-watt LEDs, which are attached to a heat sink inside the cover
- Requires an air pump that can pump at least 2.0 liters per minute (.07 cfm), which medium-cost air pumps can usually handle. Pumps that say they can handle 2 or more airstones/outlets, or pumps with 2 tubing attachments instead of one, will usually be needed. You can have as much air as you like, however; 10 lpm pumps are no problem.
|1 – 5 Gallons||5 – 10 Gallons||10 – 40 Gallons||55 – 120 Gallons||180 – 300 Gallons||450+ Gallons|